Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Cancer Comes in All Colors



I never understood why people won't talk about cancer. Like, are they afraid they will some how get it if they talk about it? But when this went from an oddity to a tragedy for me was last summer.

I was a cabin leader at a camp. I had planed to fly under the radar with the whole cancer thing cause the week wasn't about me, it was about the kids. Well, word got around that I had cancer and at least these kids were braver than most adults I know as they came up to me and asked what type of cancer I had. Smarter than some adults I know too, but I will get to that in a moment. When I told them I had leukemia, several asked, "Where is that cancer at in your body?"

What.

I explained that it was a blood cancer, so it lived in my blood. But after they walked away I was left standing in anger, fear, and frustration. 

HOW IN THE BLOODY WORLD ARE WE SUPPOSED TO CURE CANCER IF MOST PEOPLE DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A COMMON TYPE OF CANCER EVEN IS?!?!

I realize these were kids. But just because the name of the cancer doesn't have the place isn't an excuse. And it isn't just kids. It is adults that live in ignorance too.

My sister belongs to a website where they draw things with computer programs and post them for others to see. While I was sick, she drew an orange cause ribbon (the color for leukemia) and wrote "cure cancer" and posted it. Several people asked, "Isn't the ribbon supposed to be pink?" and "Isn't the cancer ribbon pink?"

What.

HOW IN THE WORLD ARE WE SUPPOSED TO CURE CANCER IF PEOPLE DON'T EVEN KNOW THERE IS MORE TO IT THAN BREAST CANCER?

Now, I do not want to hate on breast cancer. ALL cancer is bad. There is no such thing as a "good" or "easy" cancer. I just wish for it to be recognized in all forms. In all colors.

My new normal is living every day knowing that most people won't even talk about the thing that almost killed me. So for this reason I am as open as I can be, talk to anybody who will listen, and pray that one day the reason nobody will talk about cancer is because it is cured.

-Rachael

6 comments:

  1. I like this, not all cancer is pink. Gold is for Sarcoma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing this. Brain cancer is grey and my child had it. We don't know enough about what caused hers. Such a tremendous focus on pink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, no one discuss other cancers. Like Endometrial Cancer which I have. The color for this cancer is peach. Or Ovarian Cancer - color teal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for mentioning endometrial cancer which I have too. It’s seldom ever mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have lymphoma and it’s lime green……

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have pancreatic cancer, and it's deep purple

    ReplyDelete