Sunday, August 16, 2015

New Chapter



I know I reference books a LOT by saying things like, "This is a new chapter in my life story," and I do this for two reasons. One: I love books, and two: it is the truest comparison I have ever found. When I read a fiction book, one chapter might find the character in a wonderful place surrounded by love. And the next chapter all hell has broken loose and the world is coming to an end.

My life has been like this. I had a normal, happy childhood for the most part. I had depression and anxiety in my early teens. Then, in my 18th year, I thought I had it all together. I loved my college classes, my part-time jobs were paying for everything, and I thought I knew what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. 

And then

Cancer.

That chapter of my life was way way way way way way to long. It was almost like a mini book within the story of my life. It was broken up into several sections or zones of my journey.

Why am I telling you all this? Because I now, at last feel like that chapter is over. I know I said that before, but maybe it is because I have at last started the next chapter. I am out of state, four and a half hours from home, at a college to finish my education. I am in the place I could only dream about two years ago.

I remember thinking, "I will never be done with cancer. I will never go off to school. I will never catch up with my friends." Such thoughts should not have been there. Oh, dear self, how I wish I could tell you how amazing your life will so soon be! How it was so worth the fight to be here! How you were not one bit homesick or sad when your mom left. You will only cried happy tears because today has come at last.

Happy tears are a great change.

The next chapter has begun with a smashing start.

-Rachael

No comments:

Post a Comment