Saturday, August 1, 2015

Hello August



Our county fair always starts the last week of July and ends in the first week of August. I looked forward to it every year growing up because I was in 4-H and that meant we got to show off our projects at the fair. We also got to go on rides and eat fair food.

For me at least, the county fair was like the last good story of the summer before August became the bookend to my summer. August is when school starts (I still can not believe I am leaving in just two weeks!) August is when the warm weather cools down. August is the last chance to get that summer bucket list done.

Some people get sad around this time, but not me! For one, I really like fall. It has been my favorite season for as long as I can remember. But something special happened in the fall two years ago. 

My hair started growing back. I mark the anniversary every year with a grateful prayer. I just can't believe come October I will have had my hair back for two years! I felt like I was bald for ever. Then I felt like my hair was so short forever. And then I waited forever just to be able to do a pony tail! 

So the autumn season holds a notable place in my heart. Many see it as the ending but I now hold on to it close as a beginning. A beautiful start to my new "after cancer" life. Autumn was the end of a lot of pain for me. The end.

Yep. It is official. I love endings way more than beginnings!

-Rachael

No comments:

Post a Comment